BABSON PARK, Mass.—John Decker (Parkland, Fla.) of the men's track & field team and softball's Ali Reilly (New Canaan, Conn.) were the recepients of the BESBY Award for top senior performance during the 2017-18 season in polls conducted on twitter earlier this week.
Decker, who garnered 32 percent of the vote, came in second in the 800-meter run with a time of 1:51.35 at the NCAA New England Championships on May 5. An All-American and two-time NCAA National Championships qualifier, Decker earned his fourth consecutive all-region award in the 800 meters.
Reilly, who ran away from the field with 77 percent of the vote, recorded six strikeouts in a complete game shutout to help the Beavers edge MIT, 3-0, in eight innings in a New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) Tournament contest on May 4. The senior hurler scattered seven hits and registered her 16th career shutout in the win.
Other men's nominees:
• 27 percent: Kyle Alexander (Brewer, Maine) of men's golf fired a 5-under par 67 to tie the lowest score by a Babson golfer going back to the 1991-92 campaign en route to winning the Bentley Invitational on April 18.
• 26 percent: Baseball's John Floegel (Summit, N.J.) tossed a four-hit shutout that included a career-high 11 stikeouts in the Beavers' 6-0 win over MIT on April 14.
• 15 percent: Ryan Gouveia (Dartmouth, Mass.) of men's ice hockey netted the first hat trick of his career in Babson's 4-0 win at Skidmore on January 13.
Other women's nominees:
• 11 percent: Julia Harrigan (Portsmouth, R.I.) of women's lacrosse scored four goals, dished out one assist and recorded 11 draw controls in the Beavers' 19-6 win over Wellesley on March 24.
• 8 percent: Women's soccer's Victoria Penta (Belmont, Mass.) contributed a goal and an assist, both in the second half, to help Babson defeat Clark, 3-0, in a NEWMAC Tournament semifinal on October 31.
• 3 percent: Michelle Martin (Belmont, Mass.) of women's alpine ski came in fourth in the giant slalom and ninth in the slalom to place fifth overall and the USCSA Eastern Regional Championships at West Mountain on February 24-25.