Men's Basketball vs. Bates
Wednesday, November 28 | 7 p.m.
Staake Gymnasium | Babson Park, Mass.
• Babson and Bates will meet for the 27th time on Wednesday evening in a series that dates back to 1960.
• The Beavers are 13-13 all-time against the Bobcats but have dropped three of the last four matchups going back to 2014.
• Sophomore Andrew Jaworski scored a career-high 25 points as Babson nearly erased a 17-point second-half deficit before suffering a 78-75 loss at Bates on December 29, 2017, in Lewiston, Maine.
• Junior Jeff Spellman led a balanced Bobcats' attack with 18 points and five assists, while classmate Nick Gilpin scored 10 points. Bradley Jacks '18 and Nick Comenale '18 added 17 and 15 points, respectively, for the Beavers.
LAST BABSON WIN
• Comenale finished with 20 points and seven rebounds as the then-second-ranked Beavers raced past Bates, 87-53, on November 20, 2016, at Staake Gymnasium.
• Isaiah Nelsen '17 recorded a double-double with 13 points and 10 boards, while Joey Flannery '17 added 11 points for Babson, which held the Bobcats to just 32.2 percent shooting.
SCOUTING THE BOBCATS
• Bates (2-2) has won two straight games after running away from the University of New England, 104-84, on Monday night.
• Nick Lynch poured in a career-high 25 points on 10-of-12 shooting and Spellman added 19 points for the Bobcats, who outscored the Nor'easters 74-22 in the paint.
• Spellman (14.3 pts, 6.3 reb, 3.8 ast) leads the team in rebounds and assists, first-year Andrew Snoddy (10.5 pts, 5.3 reb) is shooting 47.1 percent from the floor, and junior Kody Greenhalgh is contributing 7.8 points and 3.3 assists.
• Bates is averaging 10.3 steals per game but is shooting just 22.1 percent from beyond the arc.
SCOUTING THE BEAVERS
• Babson (3-2) built a 29-point first-half lead on its way to defeating Bowdoin, 84-63, on Sunday afternoon inside Staake Gymnasium.
• Junior Frank Oftring led all players with a career-high 22 points and 10 rebounds, Jaworski scored 18 points, and 10 different players found the scoring column for the Beavers, who led by as many as 37 early in the second half.
• Jaworski is averaging 22.4 points, 6.0 boards, and 2.4 assists, Oftring (12.8 pts, 8.8 reb) is shooting 61.9 percent from the floor, and senior Brandon Johnson (10.8 pts, 6.4 reb) leads the team in steals.
• The Green and White is shooting 46.9 percent on the year and has made 37 three-pointers over the last three contests.
• Babson men's basketball head coach Stephen Brennan welcomes his alma mater to Staake Gymnasium on Wednesday night. A four-year letter winner for the Bobcats from 1983-87, Brennan also served as an assistant coach at Bates during the 1988-89 campaign.
SHOOTING THEIR WAY IN
• Junior Jack Coolahan and sophomore Graham Dolan both returned from injury and combined to go 4-of-5 from three-point range in Sunday's win over Bowdoin.
• Coolahan went 3-of-3 from deep and Dolan canned his first shot of the season as part of the Beavers' 27-14 spurt to close the first half.
CLEANING THE GLASS
• The Green and White is averaging better than 12 offensive boards per game and own a +10.2 rebounding margin, which ranks 30th in Division III, through its first five outings.
FINISHING AT THE RIM
• Oftring, who scored 13 points during Babson's 20-7 run to begin the game on Sunday, is shooting 70 percent (21-of-30) on two-point attempts this season.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• The Beavers are averaging 46.9 points in the first half of three home games this season.