Men's Basketball at Coast Guard
Wednesday, January 8 | 7 p.m.
Roland Hall | New London, Conn.
• Babson and Coast Guard will meet for the 81st time on Wednesday in a series that dates back to the 1972-73 season.
•The Beavers are 54-26 all-time against the Bears and have won 15 straight games between the teams going back to 2012.
• Senior Brandon Johnson led five players in double figures with 17 points and Bradley Jacks '18 reached the 1,000-point milestone as visiting Babson defeated the Coast Guard Academy, 91-64, on January 27, 2018, in Roland Hall.
• Nick Comenale '18 and sophomore Andrew Jaworski both scored 14 points, while Brian Kelley '18 hit three triples and scored 11 points to reach double figures for the Beavers. Junior Packy Witkowski scored a game-high 23 points to lead the Bears.
LAST COAST GUARD WIN
• Jevon James scored 20 points and Kevin Sowers chipped in with 15, including a 9-for-11 effort from the free throw line, helping the fifth-seeded Bears knock off fourth-seeded Babson, 62-53, in a NEWMAC Tournament quarterfinal on February 23, 2011, in Babson Park.
• Matt Zoia '11 had 19 points to lead the Beavers, who built a 14-point first-half lead but shot just 34.9 percent on the night.
SCOUTING THE BEARS
• Coast Guard (9-3, 0-2 NEWMAC) is looking for its first conference win after falling to No. 7 MIT, 69-54, on Saturday.
• Junior Noah Baldez led the Bears with 13 points, senior Nolan Benson dropped 11 points to go along with five rebounds, and sophomore Tyler Perez chipped in with six points and a team-high eight boards.
• Witkowski (17.5 pts, 5.8 reb) is shooting 41.9 percent from behind the arc, Benson (14.6 pts, 4.5 reb) is shooting 63.5 percent from the floor, and Baldez (10.8 pts, 4.5 reb) has reached double figures in points in four of his last five outings.
• The Bears are 5-2 at home on the year but both losses have come in conference play.
SCOUTING THE BEAVERS
• Babson (9-4, 2-0 NEWMAC) edged WPI, 64-60, to pick up its third straight win and stay undefeated in league play on Saturday.
• Johnson finished with 15 points and nine rebounds, junior Frank Oftring contributed 11 points, six boards and a game-high four assists, while classmate Jack Coolahan and Jaworski added eight points apiece for the Beavers.
• Jaworski (15.9 pts, 4.8 reb) has shot 50 percent from the field in his last three of his last four outings, Oftring (13.6 pts, 6.8 reb, 1.2 blk) has scored in double figures in eight of the last nine games, and Johnson (13.2 pts, 6.9 reb) is shooting 53.8 percent from the floor to go along with two double-doubles on the year.
• The Green and White leads the NEWMAC in blocked shots per game (4.8) and is holding its foes to just 30.7 percent shooting from beyond the arc.
AVOIDING THE BEAR TRAP
• In eight games since a double-overtime victory at Coast Guard in February 2014, the Beavers have averaged 86.1 points while shooting 50.4 percent overall and 46.9 percent from beyond the arc against the Bears.
• Babson is making 10.5 three-point field goals and is averaging 1.13 points per possession during this eight-game stretch.
• Johnson has averaged 16.8 points on an efficient 60.9 percent shooting in four games since December 29 for the Green and White, which includes making 20-of-22 shots in the paint.
LIFE ON THE ROAD
• Going back to February 2014, the Green and White has gone 31-2 in NEWMAC road games. The lone losses during this stretch came at Springfield and at Wheaton last season.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• The Beavers have limited their first two conference opponents to just 0.95 points per possession.