34th Babson Invitational Tournament
vs. Anna Maria | Saturday, November 9 | 5:30 p.m. | Staake Gymnasium
vs. Suffolk | Sunday, November 10 | 2 p.m. | Staake Gymnasium
WHAT TO KNOW
• The Babson men's basketball team will kick off the 2019-20 campaign on Saturday when it hosts the 34th Babson Invitational Tournament.
• This year's event is set up as a classic with the Beavers facing Anna Maria on Saturday and Suffolk on Sunday afternoon.
vs. Anna Maria
• The Beavers are 6-1 all-time against the Amcats in a series that dates back to 1983.
• Babson recorded lopsided wins over Anna Maria in 2015 and 2016 in the first matchups between the programs since the 1997 NCAA Tournament.
• Babson is 33-31 all-time against the Rams in a series that dates all the way back to 1951.
• The programs played for 47 consecutive seasons between 1960-2006, but Sunday's matchup will be the first in over a decade.
SCOUTING THE BEAVERS
• Babson returns 12 players from a team that finished 15-11 after falling the NEWMAC Tournament quarterfinals last season.
• Led by 25th-year head coach Stephen Brennan, the Beavers returns four of their top six scorers.
• Junior Andrew Jaworski averaged 14.4 points and 4.0 rebounds, and senior Frank Oftring contributed 13.1 points, 6.4 boards and 2.3 assists as both players were named to the all-conference second team last winter.
• Senior Jack Coolahan (9.9 pts, 3.4 reb) averaged 12.3 points in conference play, while first-year Colin Bradanese contributed 5.0 points and 3.1 boards in 21 games off the bench.
SCOUTING THE AMCATS
• Anna Maria returns four of its top seven scorers from a team that went 7-18 and finished 10th in the GNAC last winter.
• Senior Mike Rapoza averaged a double-double (17.4 points, 11.8 rebounds), while junior Bobby Perette chipped in with 15.1 points last winter.
• The Amcats were picked to finish 10th when the GNAC released its preseason poll.
SCOUTING THE RAMS
• Suffolk returns three of its top five scorers from a team that finished 18-8 while recording the second most wins in program history last winter.
• First-team all-conference senior Thomas Duffy averaged 15.6 points, 5.0 rebounds and 4.2 assists, while junior Brendan Mulson contributed 13.3 points and 4.5 boards.
• Sophomore Alex Jacovides also returns after putting up 12.1 points on a Division III-best 53.8 percent shooting for the Rams, who were picked fourth in the GNAC preseason poll.
• The Beavers are 52-14 all-time in the Babson Invitational Tournament.
• Anna Maria (4-10) is making its eighth appearance overall at the tournament and first since 2016, Salem State (1-1) last took part in the BIT all the way back in 1982, and Suffolk (9-15) returns for the second consecutive season and 13th time overall.
THE VOTES ARE IN
• The Green and White was picked to finish third behind WPI and defending NEWMAC Tournament champions Emerson when the league released its preseason coaches' poll last week. Babson won three straight regular season NEWMAC titles from 2015-17, tied for second place in 2018 and finished in a three-way tie for third last winter.
NUMBER TO KNOW
• The Beavers averaged 80.1 points per game in their 15 wins last season.