Men's Golf at the Williams Invitational
Saturday, September 21 – 1 p.m. | Sunday, September 22 – 9 a.m.
Taconic Golf Club | Williamstown, Mass.
• The Babson men's golf team returns to the Williams Invitational for the fourth year in a row this weekend. First round play in the 23-team event begins at 1 p.m. on Saturday, while the final round is set to be played on Sunday at 9 a.m.
• Taconic Golf Club, a 6,808-yard, par 71 layout built in 1927 has hosted three USGA Championships and four NCAA Championships in its storied history.
• Taconic GC also was recently ranked No. 3 on the top campus courses you can play by Golfweek.
2018 WILLIAMS INVITATIONAL RECAP
• Junior Lane Bohman shot a first round 72 and senior Chris Bornhorst closed with a 3-over 74 to help Babson tie for fifth place with a 36-hole total of 613 at last year's Williams Invitational.
• The host Ephs, who led the Beavers by seven strokes entering the final round, posted a 588 total to finish 17 shots clear of second-place Husson.
• Bohman tied for 12th place at 10-over 152, Bornhorst grabbed a share of 16th position at 11-over 153, and sophomore Nicholas Gianelos tied for 23rd at 12-over 154 for the Green and White.
SCOUTING THE BEAVERS
• Babson is coming off a fourth-place finish in last weekend's Duke Nelson Invitational at Middlebury.
• Bornhorst and first-year Jackson Rothwell both tied for second place with a 36-hole total of 1-over par 143 as the Beavers posted rounds of 293 and 299 to finish with 592 total, which was 13 strokes behind team champions NYU.
• Rothwell leads the Green and White with a 72.00 stroke average and has finished under par in the opening round at both Trinity and Middlebury to begin the season.
• Bornhorst boasts two top-five finishes in two events and is second on the team with a 72.25 stroke average, while Gianelos (74.25) and first-year Sean Fitzgerald (75.00) have both posted three rounds of 75 or better over the first two tournaments.
SCOUTING THE FIELD
• The 23-team field will feature some of the top teams from the northeast region, led by the host Ephs, who have two victories and a runner-up finish over the last two seasons at their event.
• NYU, Husson, Middlebury, Tufts and nationally-ranked Trinity are all set to tee it up at Taconic GC beginning on Saturday.
ROTHWELL EARNS CONFERENCE RECOGNITION
• After posting rounds of 69-74 while recording his second top-three finish of the season at Middlebury, Rothwell was selected as the CAC Golfer of the Week on Thursday.
• Much of the Beavers' success over the last two decades has come since the program returned to the event following a two-year hiatus in 2016.
• Babson's best finish at Taconic GC is third place in both 2000 and 2009, and the Green and White has recorded a trio of top-five results over the last three seasons.
NUMBER TO KNOW
• The Beavers own a 307.67 team average over the last three seasons at the Williams Invitational, and have posted just one sub-300 round out of six during this stretch.