Men's Golf at the Royal Lakes-Oglethorpe Invitational
Monday-Tuesday, October 7-8 | 8 a.m.
Royal Lakes Golf and Country Club | Flowery Branch, Ga.
• The Babson men's golf team is set to compete in the Royal Lakes-Oglethorpe Invitational for the second season in a row beginning on Monday in the northern Atlanta suburb of Flowery Branch, Ga.
• The two-day, 36-hole tournament will be played at Royal Lakes Golf and Country Club, a 6,980-yard par-72 course.
2018 ROYAL LAKES-OGLETHORPE INIVITATIONAL RECAP
• Senior Chris Bornhorst and junior Lane Bohman both shot even par in the final round to help Babson finish in a tie for first place with then-15th-ranked Greensboro at 8-over 584.
• Bornhorst tied for fourth place at 2-under after posting rounds of 70-72, while Bohman and sophomore Burt Gesner each grabbed a share of 19th place at 3-over par.
• Sophomore Nicholas Gianelos carded rounds of 73-75 to tie for 26th place at 4-over as the Beavers finished ahead of four nationally-ranked teams and five others that were receiving votes in in the GCAA Division III poll.
SCOUTING THE BEAVERS
• Babson has been off since September 22 when it rallied from a nine-shot deficit to claim a one-shot victory at the Williams Invitational at Taconic GC.
• Bornorst closed with a 2-under 69 to finish in fifth place at 1-over, while Gianelos shot a final round 68 and tied for sixth position at 2-over for the Beavers, who's 588 total was one shot better than the host Ephs.
• Bornhorst owns three top-five finishes in three events this fall and is first on the team with a 72.00 stroke average.
• First-year Jackson Rothwell finished under par in the opening round of two September events and is second on the team with a 73.33 average, while Gianelos owns a pair of top-six finishes and is third on the team in scoring with a 73.50 average.
SCOUTING THE FIELD
• The 18-team field features five nationally-ranked squads and six other programs that are currently receiving votes in the latest GCAA poll.
• No. 5 Guilford is the highest-ranked program in the field, which also includes No. 12 Oglethorpe, No. 13 Hampden-Sydney, No. 23 Sewanee and No. 24 Greensboro.
• Other teams to watch when play begins on Monday are McDaniel, Maryville (Tenn.) and York (Pa.), which all tied for fourth at last year's event, as well as LaGrange, Transylvania and California Lutheran, which are all receiving votes in the national poll.
• Last year's victory at Royal Lakes Golf and Country Club was the first of four consecutive tournament titles for the Green and White between October-March.
• The win also propelled Babson into the top 25 for the first time in school history.
• When Bornhorst tees off on Monday morning he will do so in his 64th career round at Babson, giving him the most of anyone in the program dating back to 1992.
• After collecting 23 points in the preseason Division III poll, the Beavers garnered 39 points when the first poll of the season was released back on September 27.
• The Green and White boasts a 293.50 team average over its first six rounds.
• The Beavers will begin play at 9:40 a.m. on Monday and are paired up with Transylvania and LaGrange.