Men's Ice Hockey at Saint Anselm
Saturday, October 27 | 4 p.m.
Sullivan Arena | Manchester, N.H.
• Babson and Saint Anselm will meet for the 66th time on Saturday in the season opener for both teams. The Beavers are 40-21-4 all-time against the Hawks in a series that dates back to 1970.
• Michael Phillips '17 scored midway through the first period and senior goaltender Matt Pompa made it stand up with 29 saves as Babson defeated Saint Anselm, 1-0, on February 10, 2017.
LAST SAINT ANSELM WIN
• Junior Mike Ferraro scored the go-ahead goal at 17:58 of the third period as the Hawks defeated the Babson, 2-1, on January 7, 2017, in Babson Park. Joe DePietto '18 had a goal and senior netminder Bryan Botcher made 30 saves for the Beavers. Shane Joyce turned away 35 shots for Saint Anselm.
SCOUTING THE HAWKS
• Saint Anselm (0-0-0) returns 22 players from a team that finished 17-9-1 overall and captured the Northeast-10 Conference Tournament championship last winter.
• The Hawks bring back four of their top five scorers, led by Ferraro (17-11-28), who scored five times on the power play, and sophomore Alec Andreucci (9-18-27), who was first on the squad in assists.
• Senior Colin Soucy, the lone returning goaltender, went 8-4-1 with a 2.51 goals against average, a .912 save percentage and two shutouts in 14 starts last winter.
• Saint Anselm, which was picked second in the NE-10 preseason poll, ended the 2017-18 campaign on an eight-game winning streak.
SCOUTING THE BEAVERS
• Babson (0-0-0) returns 13 players from a team that went 15-9-3 overall and 12-4-2 in the NEHC last season.
• The Beavers graduated 11 seniors, including its top four scorers after reaching the conference tournament semfinals for the 14th time in 16 years.
• Sophomores Nick Rosa (10-8-18) and Patrick Flynn (1-14-15) are the team's top returning scorers, while seniors Matt Brazel (5-6-11) and Tommy Munichiello combined for eight of their 20 points over the final four outings of the year.
• Pompa and Botcher combined to post a 2.08 goals against average and a .928 save percentage to go along with three shutouts last winter.
• Babson and former ECAC East and NEHC rival Saint Anselm did not meet last year for the first time since 1979.
• The Beavers have won six of their last eight games against the Hawks although the teams split two meetings in 2016-17 with the road team coming out victorious in both matchups.
NEW FACES APLENTY
• Head coach Jamie Rice '90, who enters his 15th season at Babson, has a 13-player first-year class that is going to be counted on to make contributions right away.
• Rice also hired Matt Keating as the program's new full-time assistant coach last week. Keating comes to Babson Park after a five-year stint as an assistant coach at Tufts.
• The Green and White was picked to finish fourth when the NEHC released its preseason coaches' poll on Wednesday. The Beavers have posted seven consecutive top-three finishes in league play going back to 2012.
• Babson was one of 10 programs outside the top 15 to receive votes in the D3hockey.com preseason poll.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• The Beavers went 12-0-0 when carrying a lead into the third period last season.