No. 14/15 Men's Ice Hockey at Suffolk
Friday, November 16 | 7 p.m.
Emmons-Horrigan-O'Neil Rink | Charlestown, Mass.
• Babson and Suffolk, which is one of the NEHC's two newest members, will meet for just the third time on Friday night in a series that dates back to 2009.
• The Beavers are 2-0-0 all-time against the Rams.
• Babson scored three unanswered goals in less than five minutes late in the second period to rally for a 3-1 victory over Suffolk on January 11, 2011, in Boston.
• Ryan Smith '13, Jason Schneider '11 and Mike Hoban '12 all had goals for the Beavers, who got 30 saves from Zeke Testa '13.
SCOUTING THE RAMS
• Suffolk (2-3-0, 0-2-0 NEHC) has dropped two straight games after suffering a 2-0 loss at Southern Maine last Saturday.
• Senior goaltender Michael Levine finished with 23 saves for the Rams, who went 0-for-5 on the power play and were blanked for the second game in a row.
• Sophomore Jack Kelly (4-2-6) is tied for seventh in the league in scoring, senior Mikhail Bryan (2-3-5) leads the team in assists, and sophomore Joseph Mortillaro (2-1-3) has scored once on the power play.
• Levine is 2-2-0 with a 1.76 goals against average and a .941 save percentage in four starts between the pipes.
SCOUTING THE BEAVERS
• No. 14 USCHO.com/No. 15 D3hockey.com Babson (4-0-1, 3-0-1 NEHC) remained unbeaten with a 5-3 win over then-No. 8/10 Norwich last Saturday.
• First-year Ryan Black had a goal and an assist and sophomore Nick Rosa notched the go-ahead tally at 7:05 of the third period as the Beavers rallied from a 3-1 second-period deficit.
• Rosa (6-3-9) leads the NEHC in scoring, first-year Mike Egan (2-6-8) is tied for first in the conference in assists, and classmate Matt Wiesner has contributed five goals over the first five games.
• Senior netminders Bryan Botcher (1-0-1) and Matt Pompa (3-0-0) have combined to post a 2.36 goals against average and a .922 save percentage.
BACK IN THE POLLS
• Following a stretch of nearly two years without being ranked, the Beavers jumped back into the USCHO.com and D3hockey.com national polls this week.
• Prior to falling out of the rankings on December 5, 2016, the Beavers had appeared in 69 consecutive editions of the D3hockey.com poll dating back to January 14, 2013, and 67 straight USCHO polls since February 18, 2013.
MORE FIRSTS FOR YOUNG BEAVERS
• Rookies Cam Schmitt and Zach Richterman both notched the first goal of their respective careers in last Saturday's win over Norwich.
• Fellow first-years Trevor Marcinick and Jack Nisbet each picked up their first career assist on Schmitt's goal against the Cadets.
WEEKLY RECOGNITION FOR ROSA, EGAN
• Rosa was tabbed as the NEHC Player of the Week after scoring game-winning goals against both Castleton and Norwich, while Egan was selected as the league's rookie of the week for the second time in three weeks after contributing three assists in the wins.
STAYING OUT OF THE BOX
• The Green and White enters the weekend ranked third among 73 Division III programs in fewest penalty minutes per game. Babson's 7.80 minutes are more than only Oswego (7.33) and Salem State (7.00).
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• The Beavers went 6-3-1 on the road against conference foes last winter.