Men's Lacrosse vs. Bowdoin
Wednesday, March 13 | 5 p.m.
MacDowell Field | Babson Park, Mass.
• Babson and Bowdoin will meet for the 23rd time on Wednesday night in a series that dates back to 1978. The Beavers are just 2-20 all-time against the Polar Bears although Wednesday's contest is just the third between the teams since 1999.
• Visiting Babson got goals from six different players and led for much of the first half before then-No.14 Bowdoin College exploded for nine of the first 10 goals after halftime to defeat the Beavers, 12-6, on March 29, 2016, at Ryan Field.
• Brendan Coan '16, Spencer Low '16, Matthew Logan '17, Axel Brown '18, and seniors Brendan Duffy and Samuel Mishkind each scored for the Beavers. Shawn Daly scored four times and first-year Sam Carlin won 16-of-17 face-offs for the Polar Bears.
LAST BABSON WIN
• The Beavers edged Bowdoin, 12-11, back in 1981.
SCOUTING THE POLAR BEARS
• Bowdoin (2-1) dropped its first game of the year on Saturday when it suffered a 22-9 loss at then-fifth-ranked Amherst.
• Junior Sam Langan and first-year Will Murtagh scored two goals apiece, sophomore Nick Conway chipped in with three assists, and the goalie pair of junior Jack O'Connor and sophomore Michael Covell combined to record 13 saves.
• Conway (3-8-11) is averaging 2.67 assists per game, senior Jeff Powers (5-2-7) is second on the team in goals, and sophomore Jake Crossman (6-0-6) is one of four players with a man-up goal. Carlin (1-3-4) is 36-for-62 in face-offs and has picked up 22 groundballs.
• Carlin has won 58 percent of his face-offs and has picked up 22 groundballs, while O'Connor has posted an 11.98 goals against to go along with a .367 save percentage in three starts.
SCOUTING THE BEAVERS
• Babson (2-3) picked up its third-straight loss on Saturday afternoon falling at 18th-ranked Rensselaer, 14-8
• Sophomore Mason O'Hanlon scored twice and junior Matthew MacCune contributed a goal and an assist for the Beavers, who trailed by five at the half despite winning 8-of-11 face-offs.
• Mishkind (11-2-13) ranks 17th in Division III with four man-up goals, senior Niall Dillon (4-7-11) leads the team in assists, and first-year Jack Gregory has won 51.2 percent of his face-offs.
• Sophomore John Antaya leads the Green and White with 17 ground balls and six caused turnovers, and junior Christopher Aranalde has posted a 10.61 goals against average to go along with a .541 save percentage in five starts.
MAN DOWN BUT NOT OUT
• Entering Wednesday' contest, Babson ranks 13th in Division III having allowed its first five opponents to score just one goal on 16 extra-man opportunities. The Green and White has successfully killed off 93.8 percent of its penalties and has not conceded a man-up goal since the second quarter of its OT loss to Bates back on February 27.
GOBBLING UP GROUND BALLS
• The Beavers scooped up a season-high 42 ground balls in Saturday's loss at Rensselaer, highlighted by a career-high seven from first-year Hutch Torregrossa and a season-best six from Antaya.
• Babson's 42 ground balls was also its highest total since picking up 42 in an 11-8 win over Springfield back on April 7, 2018.
ONE AWAY FROM 100
• Mishkind, who has led the team in scoring in each of the last two seasons, enters Wednesday's game needing just one goal to become the eighth player in program history to reach 100.
• With 115 career points, Mishkind is currently tied with Austin Fabel '18 for 14th on the program's all-time scoring list.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• The Beavers have outscored their opponents 13-5 in the fourth quarter this spring.