Men's Tennis at MIT
Wednesday, April 3 | 4 p.m.
DuPont Tennis Courts | Cambridge, Mass.
• Babson and MIT will meet for the 55th time on Wednesday afternoon in a series that dates back to the 1984-85 season. The Engineers have won 51 of the previous 54 matches against the Beavers.
• Babson suffered a 5-1 loss to MIT in the NEWMAC Tournament final at the duPont Tennis Courts on May 6, 2018.
• The Beavers trailed just 2-1 after doubles thanks to a 9-8 (7-4) win at number two by Ben Roque '18 and sophomore Andre Libnic. Senior Alex Cauneac was victorious in both singles and doubles for the Engineers.
LAST BABSON WIN
• Ramone Doyley '15 and Victor Vu '16 both won in singles and doubles as the Beavers defeated MIT, 6-3, in the conference opener for both teams on April 1, 2014, in Cambridge.
• Leading 2-1 after doubles, the Beavers won in straight sets at four of the top five singles flights to beat the Engineers for the first time since 1985.
SCOUTING THE ENGINEERS
• MIT (3-3, 0-0 NEWMAC) has won two of its last three matches after cruising past No. 40 Bates, 7-2, on Saturday.
• Cauneac, Sean Ko and Pablo Ampudia all won in both singles and doubles for the Engineers, who won in straight sets at second through sixth singles.
• Barr is 9-3 in all singles matches and 5-1 at number one, Cauneac (7-3) has won three of four matches at number two, and Albert Go (5-2) has won his last four singles contests.
• Barr and Cauneac have won two straight matches and are 3-1 at number one doubles doubles, while Ampudia and Ko are 3-2 in all matches.
SCOUTING THE BEAVERS
• Babson (7-3, 0-0 NEWMAC) returned to the win column by defeating No. 40 Bates, 5-4, on Sunday.
• Libnic, senior Brandon Rosenbluth and junior Chris Kolesnik won in both singles and doubles for the Beavers, who earned their first win over a ranked opponent in over a decade.
• Libnic is 7-5 overall and 5-2 at number two singles, Rosenbluth (7-5) has gone 4-3 at number three, and Kolesnik is 6-4 overall and 5-2 at number four.
• Libnic (10-3) leads the team in doubles wins and has gone 5-2 playing alongside Kolesnik, while junior Alberto De Mendiola and Rosenbluth are 6-7 in all matches.
LIBNIC GARNERS CONFERENCE RECOGNITION
• Libnic earned his second weekly honor of the spring, and first in singles, when he tabbed as the NEWMAC Singles Player of the Week on Monday.
• He defeated Alex Kennedy of Bates, 6-3, 6-1, at number two in Sunday's victory.
• In addition to their annual regular season match, Babson and MIT have faced each other in the NEWMAC Tournament final in six consecutive seasons dating back to 2013.