No. 4 Field Hockey at No. 13 MIT
Saturday, September 14 | 1 p.m.
Jack Barry Field | Cambridge, Mass.
• Babson and MIT will meet for the 44th time on Saturday afternoon in a series that dates back to 1984. The Beavers are 27-16 all-time against the Engineers and have won six of the last eight matches between the teams.
• Anna Neumann scored in the fourth minute and sophomore goalkeeper Grace Moore finished with eight saves as then-12th-ranked MIT edged the then-No. 3 Beavers, 1-0, in the NEWMAC Tournament final on November 5, 2017, in Babson Park.
• The Beavers held an 18-2 edge in shots and a 19-1 advantage in penalty corners.
LAST BABSON WIN
• Junior Tori Roche broke a scoreless deadlock in the 49th minute and senior Lauren Drakeley tacked on an insurance goal to lift the Beavers to a 2-0 win over MIT on September 16, 2017.
• Moore recorded 14 saves for the Engineers, who were outshot 22-4.
SCOUTING THE ENGINEERS
• No. 13 MIT (5-1, 0-0) bounced back from its first loss with a 4-2 victory at Lasell on Thursday night.
• Sophomore Amanda Garofalo and junior Bailey Tregoning each finished with a goal and an assist for the Engineers, who scored twice in each half.
• Junior Devon Goetz (7-3-17) and Garofalo (6-4-16) rank first and second, respectively, in scoring, while Tregoing has contributed five goals and three assists for 13 points.
• Moore has posted a 2.02 goals against average and a .621 save percentage to go along with one shutout in six starts.
SCOUTING THE BEAVERS
• No. 4 Babson (4-1, 0-0 NEWMAC) enters its conference opener looking to rebound from Tuesday's 2-1 OT loss to eighth-ranked Tufts.
• First-year Lauren Curley scored in the 21st minute and classmate Cassidy Riley matched her season high with nine saves for the Beavers, who led for much of regulation.
• Roche (6-3-15) is third in the NEWMAC in scoring, senior Ashley Tango (3-5-11) is tied for the conference lead in assists, and junior Carla DiBiase (4-0-8) and senior Catherine Gilman (3-1-7) have combined for seven goals.
• Riley has posted a 0.97 goals against average and a .815 save percentage to go along with one shutout in five starts.
BATTLE AT THE TOP
• Babson and MIT, which have met in the NEWMAC Tournament championship game in each of the last two seasons, were the only two programs to receive first-place votes in the league's preseason poll.
• The Beavers, who were first on six ballots, came in first while the Engineers placed second.
• Tango and Drakeley have combined for three goals and four assists in five career games against MIT.
LOADING UP ON RANKED OPPONENTS
• Tuesday's outing against Tufts was the first of four nationally-ranked opponents the Beavers will play this season.
• Babson, which is 8-6 against against ranked foes since 2015, will take on top-ranked Middlebury on September 23 and ninth-ranked Montclair State on October 27 in addition to Saturday's test at MIT.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• The Beavers have won 26 of their last 29 games against NEWMAC foes going back to 2015.