Softball at Coast Guard
Tuesday, April 23 | 3/5 p.m.
Nitchman Field | New London, Conn.
• Babson is 22-35 all-time against Coast Guard in a series that dates back to 1991. The Beavers have won five in a row against the Bears, which included doubleheader sweeps in each of the last two seasons.
• Senior Ashley Tango went 3-for-3 with an RBI and junior Katie Gademsky tossed a complete-game six hitter to help the Beavers sweep Coast Guard with a 3-1 win in game two of a doubleheader on April 21, 2018, in Babson Park.
• Samantha Smith '18 went 2-for-3 with an RBI triple for Babson. Emma Hvozdovich doubled and drove in a run for the Bears.
LAST COAST GUARD WIN
• Hayden Short doubled and drove in three runs as the Bears edged the Beavers, 4-3, in the opening game of a doubleheader on April 9, 2016, in Babson Park.
• Four different players had two hits for the Green and White, which stranded seven runners on base in the loss.
SCOUTING THE BEARS
• Coast Guard (18-18, 6-10 NEWMAC) has dropped four straight games and suffered an 11-6 loss to Wellesley in the back end of Wednesday's doubleheader.
• Junior Claire Hurley went 4-for-4 with two doubles and senior Sharayah Simco doubled and drove in three runs for the Bears, who had 15 hits in the loss.
• Junior Courtney McKenna is batting .411 with 13 doubles and 40 runs batted in, classmate Audrey Bartz is hitting .384 with six doubles, four homers and 25 RBI, and sophomore Charlee Kraiss enters the day with a .379 average to go along with 10 doubles, 27 RBI and 38 runs scored.
• Sophomore Sydney Arendt is 8-9 with a 4.86 ERA in 118.0 innings, while junior Julia Ferris has gone 10-9 with a 4.47 ERA in 110.0 innings of work this spring.
SCOUTING THE BEAVERS
• Babson (19-13, 12-4 NEWMAC) had won seven of its last eight games before getting swept in 5-4 and 6-4 losses to Endicott on Wednesday.
• Junior Kayla Schinik went 2-for-4 with two runs scored and first-year Isabel Aguilar drove in two runs for the Beavers, who left the bases loaded in the bottom of the seventh.
• Senior Josephine Mares is batting .444 with eight extra-base hits, 16 runs batted in and 31 runs scored, junior Jacqueline Paul is hitting .400 with 12 doubles, a homer and 25 RBI, and Tango enters the day at .349 with seven doubles, four triples and 17 runs driven in.
• Junior Brooke Stock is 9-7 with a 2.78 ERA and a league-best 106 strikeouts in 103.1 innings, while Gademsky (10-5) has won seven of her last eight decisions while lowering her ERA to 3.53 in 81.1 innings.
WHAT'S AT STAKE
• Although it has already locked up the third seed in next week's NEWMAC Tournament, a sweep would give Babson its most conference victories since joining the league back in 1987.
• Coast Guard must win both games to pass Wellesley for the sixth and final playoff spot.
• The Green and White debuted at No. 5 when the NCAA released its first regional rankings last Thursday. One of just two NEWMAC squads in the 11-team poll, the Beavers were behind Tufts, Brandeis, MIT and Bowdoin.
• The second NCAA regional rankings will be released on Thursday afternoon.
MOVING UP THE CHARTS
• Tango ranks sixth in Babson history in both hits (166) and runs batted in (92), is tied for seventh in doubles (37) and is eighth in total bases (233).
• Mares is tied for second in triples (10), fourth in runs scored (117), sixth in walks (60) and ranks ninth in hits (163).
• Tango is 8-for-18 with a double and three RBI in six career games against Coast Guard.
• Senior Alex Corrigan doubled in both meetings against the Bears last year, while junior Annie Mitchell went 3-for-7 with two runs scored, two stolen bases and three RBI in two games against Coast Guard back in 2017.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• The Beavers are batting .365 and averaging 6.56 runs per game in conference play.