NEWPORT, R.I.—The Babson College women's tennis team dropped just one game across three doubles matches and won all six singles matches in straight sets en route to a 9-0 season-opening victory over Salve Regina University on Tuesday afternoon.
Five different players earned points in both singles and doubles and seven players collected a victory for the Beavers. Senior Tori Paolino (East Orleans, Mass.) and junior Dina Weick (Woodbridge, Conn.) rolled to an 8-1 win at number one doubles, sophomore Yagmur Akgul (Istanbul, Turkey) and first-year Chloe Brandt (Denver, Colo.) were 8-0 winners at number two, and sophomore Kylie Kam (Honolulu, Hawaii) and first-year Eleni Gianelos (West Chester, Pa.) breezed to an 8-0 triumph at number three.
The Green and White had little trouble in singles play as Paolino at number three, Kam at number six and sophomore Claire Foster (Orange, Conn.) at number five all posted 6-0, 6-0 victories. Gianelos was a 6-1, 6-1 winner at number two, Weick cruised to a 6-0, 6-1 triumph at number four and Akgul remained unbeaten in dual-match play with a 6-2, 6-2 win at number one.
Babson (1-0) returns to action on Wednesday when it hosts Endicott in its home opener at 3:30 p.m.
• The Beavers have now won 17 consecutive season openers going back to the 1999 season.
• Babson has won its first road match of the year in each of the last seven seasons going back to 2009.
• The Green and White has won 10 straight matches over Salve Regina going back to 2000.
• Akgul has now won 12 consecutive singles matches and four straight doubles matches going back to last season.
• Weick has gone 7-3 in singles play over her last 10 matches dating back to last season.