Men's Golf at the Saratoga National Invitational
Saturday, October 13 – 11:30 a.m. | Sunday, October 14 – 10:20 a.m.
Saratoga National Golf Club | Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
• The Babson men's golf team returns to Saratoga Springs, N.Y., for the second year in a row beginning on Saturday.
• The 36-hole event will again be played at Saratoga National GC, a picturesque par-72 course that measures 6,744 yards and has been listed among Golf Digest's ranking of America's Greatest Public Courses over the last decade.
2018 SARATOGA NATIONAL INVITATIONAL RECAP
• Senior Chris Bornhorst closed with a 2-under par 70 and tied for fourth place with an even-par total of 144 as Babson rallied from a four-shot deficit to edge Trinity on a tiebreaker.
• Sophomore Nicholas Gianelos tied for seventh place at 4-over as the Beavers posted a 36-hole total of 590 to finish ahead of Trinity, Rensselaer (592) and Middlebury (595).
SCOUTING THE BEAVERS
• Babson is coming off a fourth-place finish at the Royal Lakes-Oglethorpe Invitational on Monday and Tuesday outside Atlanta.
• Bornhorst tied for fourth with a 5-under total of 139 and Gianelos tied for seventh position at 4-under 140 for the Beavers, who posted a team score of 1-under 575 over 36 holes.
• Bornhorst leads the Green and White with a 71.38 stroke average, Gianelos (72.63) has finished under par in three of eight rounds this fall, and first-year Jackson Rothwell has recorded a pair of top-three finishes and boasts a 73.88 average.
• The Beavers have broken 300 in seven of eight rounds and enter the weekend with a 292.00 team scoring average.
SCOUTING THE FIELD
• The nine-team field features eight of the top teams in the northeast and Texas-Dallas.
• NYU won the Duke Nelson Invitational at Middlebury back on September 15 and finished second at the Williams Invitational a week later, while Williams finished as the runner-up at both events.
• Middlebury came in third at its home tournament and Rochester and Rensselaer both posted top-five results at Williams three weeks ago.
RAISING HIS GAME
• Bornhorst, who owns four top-five results in four starts this fall, has finished under par in three of his last six rounds.
• After finishing at 1-over at both Middlebury and Williams, his 5-under total at Oglethorpe earlier this week marked the best 36-hole finish of his collegiate career.
BURT IS BACK
• After sitting out both the Middlebury and Williams events, sophomore Burt Gesner returned to the lineup by finishing in a tie for 27th place at the Royal Lakes-Oglethorpe Invitational.
• His opened with the low round of his collegiate career (70) and recorded his low 36-hole score at Babson, finishing with a 1-over total of 145.
ITS IN THE HOLE
• Junior Reed Wilson made a hole-in-one on the 199-yard 12th hole during the second round of last year's tournament at Saratoga National GC.
NUMBER TO KNOW
• 4: The number of players to finish at least one round under par through the Beavers' first four tournaments.