Men's Lacrosse vs. Bates
Wednesday, February 27 | 4 p.m.
MacDowell Field | Babson Park, Mass.
• Babson and Bates will meet for the third year in a row and just the eighth time since 1979 on Wednesday. The Beavers are 4-3 against the Bobcats but have dropped two straight matchups.
• Senior Niall Dillon scored twice but visiting Babson College was unable to dig out of an early hole as it suffered an 18-9 loss to Bates on February 28, 2018.
• Austin Fabel '18 had a goal and two assists for the Beavers, who trailed 11-3 at the half. Clarke Jones scored five times and junior Matt Chlastawa added three goals for the Bobcats.
LAST BABSON WIN
• The Beavers defeated Bates, 16-15, on April 23, 1990, in Babson Park.
SCOUTING THE BOBCATS
• Bates (0-1) fell to No. 3 RIT, 14-12, in its season opener on Saturday afternoon.
• Chlastawa led the Bobcats with four points on a goal and three assists, classmate Curtis Knapton tallied three goals and sophomore Jack Scribner and junior Otis Klingbeil each added two goals in the loss.
• Senior Mitchell Drake and junior Rob Strain, who combined to post a .484 save percentage last spring, made nine saves while splitting time in net against the Tigers.
• Bates, which went 8-8 last season, returns three All-Americans in Chlastawa, senior Rocco Fantoni and junior Curtis Knapton. Chlastawa produced 48 goals and 49 assists for 97 points last spring, Fantoni caused 37 turnovers and Knapton finished fourth on the team in scoring with 22 goals and 27 points.
SCOUTING THE BEAVERS
• Babson (2-0) has opened the season with back-to-back wins for the first time since 2013 after defeating Skidmore, 15-9, on Saturday afternoon.
• Senior Samuel Mishkind and junior Owen Allen scored four goals apiece, first-year Jack Gregory won 18-of-28 face-offs, and junior Christopher Aranalde stopped 14 shots for the Beavers, who broke the game open with a 6-1 second-quarter run.
• Mishkind (7-2-9) and Allen (5-0-5) have combined for 12 goals, Gregory has won 26-of-43 face-offs, and sophomore John Antaya is second on the team with seven ground balls.
• Aranalde has posted a 5.50 goals against average and a .686 save percentage in two starts for the Green and White.
MISHKIND PICKS UP LEAGUE HONOR
• After producing seven goals and two assists in wins over Roger Williams and Skidmore, Mishkind was tabbed as the NEWMAC Offensive Co-Player of the Week on Monday.
RISING UP THE CHARTS
• Mishkind needs just five more goals to become the eighth player in school history to reach 100 for his career.
• Senior Niall Dillon enters Wednesday's contest just two points shy of 100 for his career. The former NEWMAC Rookie of the Year has scored 65 goals and dished out 33 assists for 98 points in 51 career outings.
OLD FRIENDS REUNITED
• First-year Babson head coach Rocky Batty will be reunited with fellow Brown University alum and Bates head coach Peter Lasagna on Wednesday. A former defenseman, Batty played for Lasagna, who served as an assistant for the Bears, during his time at Brown.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• Over their last 10 games going back to last year, the Beavers are allowing just 7.1 goals per game.