Men's Lacrosse

1 NCAA Tournament | 3 Conference Championships

Clark Rallies Late to Stun Men’s Lacrosse in 2OT, 13-12

Clark Rallies Late to Stun Men’s Lacrosse in 2OT, 13-12

BABSON PARK, Mass.—Junior Bobby Philbin (Ridgefield, Conn.) scored 3:16 into the second overtime as visiting Clark University closed the game with six unanswered goals to rally for a 13-12 victory over Babson College in New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) men's lacrosse action on Saturday afternoon at MacDowell Field.

Babson, which had its three-game winning streak snapped, slips to 8-6 overall, while Clark improves to 9-6 with its fifth consecutive win. Both squads are 4-1 in NEWMAC play and sit in a four-way tie atop the league standings with Springfield and Coast Guard.

Junior Owen Allen (Franklin, Mass.) scored three times and seniors Niall Dillon (Duxbury, Mass.) and Samuel Mishkind (Chappaqua, N.Y.) and junior Matthew MacCune (Braintree, Mass.) all had two goals for the Beavers. Dillon led all players with three assists, sophomores Jack Tague (Fairfield, Conn.) and John Antaya (Duxbury, Mass.) scooped up five ground balls apiece, and junior Christopher Aranalde (Rockville Centre, N.Y.) finished with 11 saves in the loss.

Junior Jack Mandracchia (Melrose, Mass.) had three goals, while Philbin, senior Jack Pierce (Westborough, Mass.), classmate Brandon King (Eastham, Mass.) and junior Andrew Hollerbach (West Hartford, Conn.) all scored twice for the Cougars. Philbin, who won 15-of-20 face-offs, and senior Sam Wogan (Freeport, Maine) each picked up five ground balls, and classmate Nathan Maselek (Marblehead, Mass.) turned away 19 shots in the victory.

After trading goals over the first 10 minutes, the Green and White got tallies from sophomore Mason O'Hanlon (Manhattan Beach, Calif.) and Dillon just 43 seconds apart to build a 5-3 edge with 1:16 to go in the opening quarter. Allen scored two in a row to extend the margin to 7-4 with 5:52 left in the second, and Mishkind answered a tally by Clark's King with his first goal of the day just 45 seconds from halftime to keep the Beavers in front 8-5 at the break.

Babson twice led by as many as four in a third quarter that saw the Cougars commit eight turnovers, and took its biggest lead of the game at 12-7 after Dillon set up both Duffy and MacCune over the first three minutes of the fourth. Clark pulled within 12-9 on markers by Mandracchia and Pierce, and then scored three times in the span of 1:59 to pull even on King's goal at the 3:37 mark.

Maselek stuffed Dillon at the top of the crease with 11 seconds left in regulation, and then made the only save of the first extra session when he denied Allen's shot from distance with 0:02 remaining. Both teams came up empty on their first possession in the second overtime before Philbin shook a defender and whipped a shot past Aranalde for the game winner with 44 seconds left in the period.

Both teams return to action on Wednesday at 7 p.m. as Babson travels to MIT, while Clark hosts Springfield.

• The Beavers are 21-2 all-time against Clark but have dropped two of the last three in the series.
• Four of the last six regular season meetings between Babson and the Cougars have been decided by a single goal.
• Saturday's loss snapped an eight-game winning streak for the Beavers when scoring at least 12 goals.
• Babson's last double-overtime game was in 2014 when it defeated the University of New England, 5-4.