Alpine Ski at USCSA Eastern Regional Champinoships
Saturday-Sunday, February 23-24 | 9:30 a.m.
Sugarloaf Mountain | Carrabassett Valley, Maine
• The top six teams in the MacConnell Division descend on Sugarloaf Mountain to compete in the USCSA regional championships on Saturday and Sunday. In addition to taking on its division rivals, Babson's men and women will also compete against the top programs from the Thompson Division with the top five schools earning a trip to the national championships in early March.
LAST TIME AT SUGARLOAF
• The Beavers return to Sugarloaf for the first time since the 2014 regional championships, where the men finished first in the slalom and combined standings.
• Carter Dowd '16 and Graham Quisenberry '16 both recorded top-five showings for the Babson men, while Kristen Sweeney '17 competed as an individual and placed fourth for the women's squad.
2018 USCSA EASTERN REGIONALS RECAP
• The Babson women tied for second place and the men's squad tied for third at last year's regional championships at West Mountain.
• Junior Elizabeth Baer, Michelle Martin '18 and Tatum Alkier '18 all recorded top-10 results for the Beavers on the women's side, while junior Jack Blanchard won the slalom and placed third in the combined standings for the men.
SCOUTING THE BABSON WOMEN
• The Beavers locked up their fifth consecutive trip to the regional championships by finishing fourth and sixth in two slalom races back on February 9-10 at Proctor Ski Area.
• Baer and sophomore Sarah Mangiacotti both recrorded an 11th place finish, while first-year Julia Martin came in 15th in the regular season finale.
• Mangiacotti came in third, Baer was eighth and Martin placed 15th in the MacConnell Division standings to earn all-league honors as the Green and White finished third as a team.
• Babson has finished no worse than third in its last three regional appearances, and it's looking to book a fourth consecutive trip to the USCSA National Championships.
SCOUTING THE BABSON MEN
• The Beavers wrapped up the regular season by finishing first in the second of two slalom races at Proctor Ski Area over the weekend of February 9-10.
• Junior MacIntyre Henderson placed fourth and fifth on the final weekend to lock up first place in the division standings, while Blanchard and junior Sean Robinson placed came in second and fifth, respectively, in the final race of the weekend to secure Babson's fourth team win of the winter.
• Henderson, who earned MacConnell Division Skier of the Year honors, was joined on the all-league team by Blanchard, who placed third in the individual standings, and Robinson, who was ninth.
• The Green and White owns three victories and has not finished worse than fourth in any of its last six regional appearances, and is looking to return to nationals for the 12th year in a row.
WHAT TO WATCH FOR
• The USCSA Eastern Regional Championships have been dominated by the MacConnell Division as the men have taken the top four spots in the standings in each of the last seven years, while the women have done the same all but one time since 2012.
• Castleton has finished first in both the men's and women's combined standings in two of the last three seasons.
WHAT'S UP NEXT
• Should the Beavers qualify for nationals, they would travel to Jackson Hole, Wyo., to compete at Snow King Mountain beginning on March 12.